Friday, February 27, 2009

Hamburger Meat Tip

Here is a quick time-saving tip for dinner time. I buy the 5 lbs package of hamburger meat from Costco. When I come home (or the next day), I dice 3-4 onions and saute them in olive oil for a few minutes in a very large skillet. Then I add the 5 lbs of hamburger meat. Add Steak Seasoning. Once it is cooked - drain the fat. I divide the meat into 5 portions (basically 1 lb each) and place each portion onto a dinner plate lined with a paper towel. Let the meat cool completely and place each portion into a gallon size ziplock bag and freeze. Now I have 5 bags of cooked meat that I can quickly reheat in a pan for dinner (it takes about 5 minutes).




My Fish Heads like Sloppy Joes. I make them super simple - yes, with a couple of cans of Manwich sauce and 2 packages of my frozen hamburger meat. Hey - if they like it - why fuss with something else! We'll use half of the mixture for Sloppy Joes.

Then a couple days later I'll use the other half of the Sloppy Joe mix for my version of Tator Tot Casserole (pictured above). Using a large pie dish I add the leftover Sloppy Joe Meat which I have mixed with one can of corn and top with tator tots. I add milk and sour cream to a can of cream of mushroom soup and pour of the top of the tots. Add shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 375 until heated through.

1 comment:

Jeff Levasseur said...

As Guy Fieri would say, that looks MONEY!!! I'm going to Pleasanton next week, how about those asian meatballs...?